Medical injection molding
Injection molding is a manufacturing process we use to produce plastic devices in either large and small volumes, which is used also in the medical field for the production of a wide range of medical plastic devices. What differentiates common injection molding from medical injection molding is the fact that the latter must be absolutely compliant to the strict FDA regulations for what regards Food, Drug and Cosmetic products.
What is medical plastic injection molding used for?
Medical device plastics are characterized by great versatility and can be combined even with metals. So, they are employed in a various range of medical parts, components and products such as:
- Surgical instruments and blades
- Medical enclosures and knobs
- Dental instruments
- Medical equipment components
What we offer as medical injection molding suppliers
Since 1986 we have been working as manufacturers and suppliers of injection molding for various sectors such as the medical one, by offering a service which includes:
- Co-designing – If you need molds with an uncommon shape, we are able to provide it thanks to our service of custom mold design
- Designing and engineering – We put the most maniacal attention to details by combining our expertise with a state-of-the-art technology (CAD/CAM/CAE) so as to meet all the specifications you need
- Prototyping and pilot molds – Medical injection molding and medical insert molding are the most used techniques for mold prototyping: the choice depends on the kinds of plastics used
- Mold construction and tests – We conduct in-house final testing of the medical molds
Quality control and traceability
As medical injection molding suppliers we put much attention to quality standards and parts traceability throughout all our manufacturing steps.
As a matter of fact, tracking back devices and processes is fundamental in the medical industry as a single failure or defect can have serious consequences on machine operation systems and technologies and, of course, on people's health.
Choose our medical injection molding service
All the plastics we use in medical injection molding
Materials are crucial in medical plastic molding as the resulting products must comply with the European FDA laws. At Idea Stampi we use medical grade plastics with high molecular weight and chemical and heat resistant properties.
The most suitable materials for injection molding in the medical industry turns out to be:
- Polycarbonate PC – Due to its high tensile, flexural and shear strength, heat resistance and low moisture absorption, this material is most used for the supply of medical tubing
- Polyether ether ketone PEEK – Suitable for food contact, it is a plastic resin highly resistant to chemicals, fatigue and cracking: medical devices made from PEEK can be easily sterilized by autoclave
- Ultem – A kind of plastic which is ideal for medical tools as it is resistant to environmental stress and high temperatures, while offering excellent dimensional stability: also the products made from Ultem can be sterilized by autoclave
Selecting injection molding medical plastics
The above listed materials are just a few compared to the various kinds of plastics used in injection molding for the production of medical parts and products.
However, despite the great variety available, all plastics used in medical injection molding share some features, which are:
- Strength – As plastic resins have different level of strength, it is important to select those which have the properties required by the final application
- Resistance – Chemical and heat resistance are critical factors as the medical products born from injection molding must usually undergo sterilization by autoclave, gamma ray or various chemical methods
- Resistance to operating environment – Materials are to be chosen with the operating conditions in mind as they determine strength, temperature, resistance to heat, chemicals and corrosion of the final products
- FDA Requirements – Last, but not least, medical plastics must meet the strictest FDA requirements: for instance, medical devices to be implanted have different specifications than tubing and other medical instruments, which are explained in the FDA regulations
The benefits of medical plastic molding
While requiring the highest precision – which we are able to achieve through our precision injection molding service –, injection molding for medical parts provides also benefits like:
- production of durable medical parts, components and products
- suitability for high and small volume productions
- production of plastic tools and applications that requires consistency and tight tolerances
Choose Idea Stampi as your medical injection molding supplier