Precision injection molding
Take a look at:
- what is precision injection molding
- the variables that influence the process
- the industrial sectors that require precision injection molding
- its advantages
- Idea Stampi services
What is precision injection molding?
Precision injection molding is a highly technical process that aims to create precise plastic components with complex geometries for various industrial applications - it is never used to manufacture whole products.
The process involves the use of precision molds that must be designed and manufactured with the utmost attention. Otherwise the plastic components might present many burrs that have to be removed, and deburring can often account for a big portion of the manufacturing costs.
The variables that influence this process
Choosing a reliable partner and supplier is even more important in precision injection molding as this process depends on a series of variables - from the accuracy of the molds to thermodynamic control - that influence the final result.
Here are the most common ones:
1. The general quality of molds
Molds for precision injection molding are the result of accurate study, design and testing. We pay attention to a plurality of elements during their manufacturing process such as:
All these elements acquire a growing importance as far as we consider dimension tolerances: while the majority of injection molds hold a tolerance of +/- .005″, precision injection molds have tolerances between +/- .002″ and +/- .001″ or even less.
2. Thermodynamic control of the mold
Consistent control of mold temperature is critical: the molds’ water lines balance the loss of heat from the plastic material so as to achieve a specific plastic shrink.
Individual temperature controllers help achieving and maintaining the desired temperature and fighting humidity that creates condensation and a chilling effect on the mold surface when it opens and closes.
3. Plastic material consistency
Physico-chemical characteristics vary depending on the kind of plastic. As a consequence, when designing the molds because this affects the quality and the precision on the injection molding process.
At Idea Stampi we deal with polymers such as polypropylene, pvc, thermoplastic polyurethane, polycarbonate etc.
4. Accuracy of the molding machine
Precision injection molding machines are fundamental to good final results. In fact, high temperatures often affect the viscosity of the oil in the machines thus causing dimensional inconsistencies.
Looking for reliable partners and suppliers for precision injection molding?
The industrial sectors the require precision injection molding
Today’s technological developments have dramatically increased the need for plastic parts, components and micro-components with unusual shapes and complex geometries to be used in advanced technical devices.
The most involved industrial sectors are: electronics, automotive, medical devices, optics, household appliances and other.
The benefits of precision injection moldings
Due to the high degree of precision it provides, businesses are looking to use precision injection molding for more technical applications. But that’s not all: they are also enjoying its other various advantages:
- cost effectiveness – the process requires the use of automatic CNC machines that reduce labor cost and increase production efficiency
- efficient production – precision injection molding allows making more parts from a single mold, that is it is faster than other molding methods
- complex designs – also parts with high levels of detail or complex geometries can be produced at high volumes
Idea Stampi services
Idea Stampi has been working with the precision injection molding technique for many years. Our experience in the field has allowed us to specialize in the production of high-precision thermoplastic parts.
We manufacture injection molding for many sectors: from the electric and the medical one to food, personal care and automotive.
Our services provide continuous controls and testing during the production process, in order to deliver a product that meets our customer’s needs.
For this reason the delivery of a plastic injection molding includes:
- Co-designing to understand your needs
- Design and engineering with attention to the tiniest details
- Mold construction with the most modern systems
- Mold tests to complete the production
- Prototyping and pilot molds, the most efficient solution when we need feasibility or functionality check on some parts in a shot time
Need an experienced high precision mold manufacturer?